So what in the devil is a "Smartphone"?
With probably everyone taking about Smartphones, you might have wondered about why all this hype and hoopla about this gadget. In simple words, a Smartphone is similar to other normal mobile phones in the sense it can make calls, but with a host of added features, the Smartphone performs a lot like a computer making it unique among mobile phones
Why do you need one?
A mobile phone has progressed from just making calls and sending the odd text message to doing a lot more. Our range of the latest Smartphones gives you a plethora of mobile phones you can choose from.
So if you're on the move, need your social networking, want to surf the Internet, play the latest games, then our smart phones are the perfect fit for you. Best Phone Deals features Smartphones from brands like LG, Samsung, Huawei, Sony Ericsson, Motorola & Nokia. From Android to Symbian Mobile phones, we have it all.
So don't wait and buy a Smartphone from our range of smart mobile phones today.
$49.90p/m $1485.6 over
24 months contract View Samsung Galaxy S II
- Android 2.3, Gingerbread
- 1.2GHz Dual-Core processor
- 4.3" S-AMOLED Plus display
- 8MP camera with LED flash
The Smartphone - Early Beginnings & History
Few may guess that the Smartphone has its roots in the PDA. The PDA also called the palmtop computer or personal digital assistant, had the ability to connect to the net as well as perform cool stuff like organize your contacts, plan appointments using its calendar, jot down notes, play music and a whole lot more. In case you wanted to know, the first PDA was made by company named Psion called the Organizer II.
The first manufacturer who combined the features of a mobile phone with a PDA was IBM (surpised? So were we!) with its Simon concept that for the first time combined the mobile phone with a PDA. High sticker price of the Simon prevented it from becoming a hit but it was an important step and a sign of things to come.
However, interestingly the first mobile phone that was actually labeled as "Smartphone" was the Sony Ericson concept phone GS88 (never released though).
After that, as they say "the rest is history"
So after that history lesson, you might be interested in what awesome stuff a Smartphone can do. Although Smartphone come with different feature sets, most of them come with these common set of features
- Net Surfing - yup we know that even the "dumb" phones can do that, However Smartphone have better hardware and often better screens along with advanced internet browsers that render a webpage just like you would see it on a PC (and not make you squint). The newer breed of Smartphone are indeed blurring the lines between a pc and a phone quicker than you would imagine
- Email and Social Networking - checking your email, FB and twitter from anywhere is kind of cool isn't it? Most Smartphones allow you do just that. Email and Social networking on a Smartphone are pretty easy peasy to do and the experience is quite good.
- Applications and Programs - Smartphone are really flexible and allow you to install applications (popularly called apps) which expand the capabilities of your smart phone. So weather its playing games, checking up on the stock market or cricket scores, you can do all that courtesy of the Smartphone apps support. Depending on which Smartphone phone you choose, there can be a plethora of applications available for your Smartphone.
To keep you from dozing off to sleep, we have just mentioned a few of the features that set a Smartphone apart from a dumb mobile phone. At the rate technology changes, the definition and the feature set of Smartphones will keep on changing. But one thing's for sure; you the customer will always win.
Terms and Conditions
* Certain call types and premium services are excluded. Dodo to Dodo applies to Dodo Postpaid Mobile calls only. Once included value is reached excess usage charges apply.
#Excess data is charged at current data rates (50c per MB) and is included in the calls, text and data value
The Dodo Fair Go™ Policy applies.
Switching Plans: You can only switch to a higher value plan during the duration of the 24 month contract.
Handsets: All handsets advertised are brand new, unless otherwise stated e.g. "Clearance Items" and are only available while stocks last. These handsets are sold for personal use only and are not available in commercial quantities or for resale. Mobile handsets provided by Dodo Australia Pty Limited ACN 097 636 970 (Dodo) are not locked to any network. Whilst you may use any network's SIM card in phones purchased from Dodo, some specific network services may not function. Further, certain network functions may appear on the phone that are not compatible with your SIM Card for example, an Optus Zoo feature may be displayed. This will not affect your ability to use the features associated with the relevant SIM card.
3 Use of these services is separate and does not count towards plan included data. Use of embedded URL's accessed via these sites, is separate and will count towards plan included data or excess usage as applicable. These features are only available if the end user's handset is compatible with the services. Dodo's Fair GoTM Policy applies. Facebook is a registered trademark of Facebook Inc. Use of the Facebook SMS alert service or any other social media alert service are not included as part of the service and will be charged separately. Twitter and the Twitter logo are trademarks of Twitter Inc. MySpace Mobile: Requires an existing MySpace account. eBay: eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. All rights reserved. LinkedIn and the LinkedIn logo are registered trademarks of LinkedIn Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. All rights reserved.